With Easter just around corner, we thought it may be nice to share with you some interesting Easter facts that you may or may not know!
1. Easter is celebrated at different times by Eastern and Western Christians. That's because the dates for Easter in Eastern Christianity are based on the Julian Calendar.
2. The white lily is the special Easter flower. It is a symbol of resurrection.
3. The date of Passover is variable as it is dependent on the phases of the moon, and thus Easter is a movable feast.
4. The name Easter originated from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess who symbolizes the hare and the egg.
5. The exchange of eggs for Easter dates back to a springtime custom older than Easter itself in which eggs were given as a symbol of rebirth in many cultures.
6. By Christian belief Easter eggs are considered to symbolize joy and celebration, new life and resurrection
7. Traditionally Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ three days after his death. It is the most important day of the church year and it is the oldest Christian holiday.
8. Painted / Decorated Easter eggs are also called Paschal eggs. The oldest tradition being dyed and painted chicken eggs.