10 top foods to help prevent dementia
Did you know that there are certain foods that you can eat that could help you fight the onset of dementia?
There is a scientific diet that claims to help prevent dementia and the loss of brain function as we age. This diet is called the MIND (Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay) diet.
Here is a list of the top 10 foods that this diet suggests for you to include in your diet:
• Green, leafy vegetables. This includes kale, spinach, cooked greens and salads.
• All other vegetables. The best types of vegetables are the ones with less starch because they have a lot of nutrients with a low number of calories.
• Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries because they are rich in antioxidants
• Olive oil. You can use olive oil as your main cooking oil.
• Whole grains, like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, whole-wheat pasta and 100% whole-wheat bread.
• Fish. Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, trout, tuna and mackerel are great options as they have high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.
• Beans, including lentils and soybeans.
• Poultry including lean chicken and turkey
• Wine (in moderation). Both red and white wine may benefit the brain.